The Ten Best Latin American Films of the Decade
Foreword and Editor: Carlos Gutierréz
ISBN: 978-1-934978-39-9 || ISBN10: 1-934978-39-6
= B&N Retail price $14.95
Cinema Tropical is the premier purveyor of Latin American cinema in the United States. Founded in 2001 with the mission of distributing, programming and promoting what was to become the biggest boom of Latin American cinema in decades, Cinema Tropical brought U.S. audiences some of the first screening of films like Amores Perros and Y Tu Mamá También. Through a diversity of programs and initiatives, Cinema Tropical is thriving as a dynamic and groundbreaking 501(c)(3) non-profit media arts organization experimenting in the creation of better and more effective strategies for the distribution and exhibition of foreign cinema in this country.
Carlos A. Gutiérrez is the co-founding director of Cinema Tropical. Using diverse curatorial, promotional and academic approaches, he’s been active in redefining cinema’s traditional boundaries, advocating inside and outside the film community for a more inclusive take on world cinema.
1. La Ciénaga – David Oubiña
2. Amores Perros – Paul Julian Smith
3. Luz Silenciosa / Silent Light – Naief Yehya
4. Cidade de Deus / City of God – Else R. P. Vieira
5. Ônibus 174 / Bus 174 – Gerard Dapena
6. Y Tu Mamá También – Misha MacLaird
7. Whisky – Tamara Falicov
8. La mujer sin cabeza / The Headless Woman – Josefina Sartora
9. La niña santa / The Holy Girl – Jerónimo Rodríguez
10. El laberinto del fauno / Pan's Labyrinth – Howard Feinstein
Ten Best Survey participants.